The Japanese Arts Foundation and Japanese Culture Center in Chicago are teaming up to host a spooky lecture focused on Yokai with guest speakers Elias Martin. Elias Martin is a renown collector and dealer of Japanese Prints, and is a member of the Ukiyo-e Dealers Association of Japan. In this discussion Ukiyo-E, Shin Hangam, and Sosaku Hanga that depict yokai will be explored. Yokai are best understood as supernatural Japanese goblins and spirits of foul temper from folklore and legend.
“In the land of the rising sun deep shadows are cast and ghouls, ghosts and demons abound. Come and learn more about what makes those things that go bump in the night as depicted in your favorite Japanese prints.”
- When: Oct 13th, 2018 from 1pm to 3pm
- Admission: $5 a ticket in advance, or $7 at the door
- Hosted By: Japanese Arts Foundation and Japanese Culture Center – 日本文化会館
- Where: Japanese Culture Center 1016 West Belmont Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60657
- Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-heavy-basket-yokai-in-japanese-prints-tickets-50081124993?aff=efbeventtix